Monday, April 16, 2007

Merrie Monarch Parade--Hilo Style
























This is what I love about Hilo...

The Merrie Monarch Parade started with Miss Aloha Hula from Oahu who I only got the back of because my digital camera likes to turn off at the most inopportune moments, just to foil me. It has something to do with saving energy. At least it doesnt eat through batteries like my last camera.

The second shot is of Mayor Harry Kim. He's so cool. Sometimes I'll see him going out for a walk in the park in just a regular white tee shirt.

Then came the street cleaners, hmm. Shouldn't they come last.

My friend Gail Duituturaga, who is also one of the painters in the Arthur Johnsen Gallery, was also in the parade on her horse. She's the one wearing the shiny brownish cape. She loves to paint horses as well.

The second to the last photo is of my partner Craig and Richard Koob, the owner of Kalani, the eco resort in my neighborhood of Kehena - Red Road. I told him next year we should have a float too. Every year he has these Japanese guests come to attend the Merrie Monarch Festival. So now we're cooking up an idea of a float with Kalani and the Arthur Johnsen Gallery combo... The Japanese ladies can hula and I'm not sure what I'll be doing, I guess helping put it together...

Much Aloha, Tuko

No comments: